6 people follow
Lake Shore Park
Follow 808 N. Lake Shore Dr. 312.742.7891
About
Lake Shore
Located in the Near North Community Area also called Streeterville, Lake Shore Park totals [5.79] acres. Amenities include extensive
outdoor recreational opportunities in this densely populated community,
including tennis courts, a quarter mile soft surface running track,
softball diamonds and a playground. Inside it offers a full-size
gymnasium, a fitness center and meeting rooms available for rent.
Many of these spaces are available for rental. Park-goers can play seasonal sports at the facility.
Afterschool programs are offered throughout the school year, and in the
summer youth attend the Park District’s popular six-week day camp.
In
addition to programs, Lake Shore Park hosts fun special events
throughout the year for the whole family, such as Movies and concerts.
Can you believe Lake Shore Park sits atop what were originally the sand dunes of Lake Michigan? Today, Lake Shore Park
offers extensive outdoor recreational opportunities in this densely
populated community, including tennis courts, a quarter mile soft
surface running track, softball diamonds and a playground. Inside we offer a full-size gymnasium, a fitness center and meeting rooms available for rent.
History Lake
Shore Park was planned for years before development beganby the Lincoln
Park Commission just before 1900. The Lincoln Park Commission was one
of three Chicago park boards created by the Illinois state legislature
in 1869. Twenty years later, the legislature gave a section of
accumulating duneland north of Chicago Avenue to the park commission.
The City of Chicago challenged the commission's ownership, but the
matter was resolved in the commission's favor in 1895. Shortly
thereafter, plans were drawn for what was initially known as Chicago
Avenue Park. In 1897, the commission began stabilizing and expanding the
site with landfill, a process that would continue for many years.
Landscape improvements began in 1900.
In 1907, the Lincoln Park
Commission agreed to expand the park by improving city land just west of
the park. At the time, the Lincoln Park Commission was a leader in a
national movement toward neighborhood parks. The commission's efforts
included Seward and Stanton parks, developed during the same period. In
1908, the commission officially named the expanded property Lake Shore
Playground, in recognition of its location. A shelter house was erected,
and outdoor recreational facilities installed.
By 1915, the city
had reclaimed its land, transferring it to the State of Illinois for an
armory. The commission completely redesigned the remaining parkland in
the following years. Demolishing the original shelter house, the
commission constructed a new brick fieldhouse. The 1916 fieldhouse sat
at the east end of the park, facing Lake Shore Drive and Lake Michigan. A
running track, baseball diamond, and tennis courts stretched to the
west. The Chicago Park District took control of Lake Shore Park in 1934,
when the 22 city park districts were consolidated into a single unified
district. In 1963, the park district dismantled the 1916 structure and
built yet another fieldhouse on the park's eastern border. The armory to
the west was demolished in the 1990s, and Lake Shore Park is now
bordered by the stepped terraces of the new Museum of Contemporary Art,
designed by Josef Paul Kleihues.

